Re: 回复: Add DList to base

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 05:58:03 UTC 2017

The current NFData instance in dlist is the best you can do. seq on a
function (very) rarely does what you want. The instance the package defines
guarantees that the DList represents a list that can be reduced to normal
form. The semantics are right. Efficiency-wise, it's lousy, but there's no
way to fix it (without changing the underlying representation).

On Jun 13, 2017 11:26 PM, "Dr.Koster" <drkoster at qq.com> wrote:

> What can that offer in the way of instances? Well, it's clearly not a
> Functor, so it's certainly not Applicative, Monad, MonadPlus, or
> Traversable. Ouch. There's no way to write matching Read and Show
> instances, so you're stuck picking just one. Similarly, IsList and
> IsString aren't guaranteed to round-trip properly. NFData is utterly
> absurd, of course. So what's left? Foldable, Monoid, and either Read
> or Show. The Foldable instance doesn't even interact nicely with the
> Monoid instance: there's no guarantee that  foldMap f xs <> foldMap f
> ys = foldMap f (xs <> ys). So there's pretty much *nothing going on
> here*. DList x just doesn't have much more to offer than Endo [x]. We
> already have Endo; ergo, we don't need DList.

I think that's OK:

1) If we're concerning those inefficient instances(My understanding is
those defined using `toList`, such as `Foldable` and `Functor`), we can
just don't add them.
2) Even `type DList a = Endo [a]` is OK, what i'm asking is CPSed
operations (such as cons, replicate...) working on this type, not those
instances.

BTW. Isn't current `NFData`instance in dlist package problematic? We should
directly `seq` the function IMHO.