Exporting ioToST from Control.Monad.ST

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 17:57:35 UTC 2017

IO and ST RealWorld are indeed represented the same--in today's GHC. It
would be possible to implement the same ST interface differently (e.g., as
an operational monad). Adding ioToST to the public interface commits not
only GHC, but also future Haskell implementations, to a similar
representation.

Note: I recently noticed a real difference between IO and ST with regard to
strictness analysis. In IO,

m >>= undefined

is *not* bottom: it may perform an observable action. In ST, it is bottom;
anything it mutates is guaranteed to vanish in a puff of smoke.

So assuming that these have the same representation actually introduces
some complications for optimization.