Selection Monad

Ben Gamari ben at smart-cactus.org
Thu Feb 2 18:18:54 UTC 2017

Jakub Daniel <jakub.daniel at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Just to clarify, my question was not about endorsing another library but
> rather extending the ones currently maintained by the committee with
> definition of a notion closely related to what is already contained in the
> libraries. It just so happens that Edward Kmett implemented the notion in a
> standalone library. However to me it does not make much sense to include
> ContT but not SelT (currently under the name Search) in the core libraries,
> despite their connection. I understand if this does not change the answer
> though.

Admittedly the symmetry here is quite intriguing,

    data Sel  r x = Sel  {runSel  :: (x → r) → x}

    data Cont r x = Cont {runCont :: (x → r) → r}

In light of this I can see why one might say that including one yet not
the other is odd. That being said, I'm not on the CLC so this is merely
an idle observation.

Cheers,

- Ben