Proposal: Add insertAt to Data.Sequence

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Sun May 29 22:26:59 UTC 2016

No, it would not be feasible to have it return a Maybe; usability
would go down the drain. My preferred total alternative would be to
drop the bounds check in that spec, so

insertAt (-1) 99 [1,2,3]  ===  [99,1,2,3]
insertAt 12 99 [1,2,3] === [1,2,3,99]

The only potential concern is that trying to insert at an out-of-range
index seems likely to be a mistake someone might want to get an error
message about. There are a number of other functions in Data.Sequence
that are partial in similar ways; I'm very open to making them total,
but the previous maintainers were concerned about losing useful
errors.