Haskell Foldable Wats

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Tue Mar 22 09:35:23 UTC 2016

On Thu, 25 Feb 2016, Edward Kmett wrote:

> Re: FTP as a whole
>
> The FTP on the whole was and remains overwhelmingly popular. Frankly, the vast majority, not all, but most of the users
> complaining in this thread are the same people who were complaining about the FTP in the first place, rehashing
> precisely the same arguments. The FTP itself passed with an overwhelming 82% majority. If we can't act in the presence
> of that large of a public majority, when _can_ we act?

It's certainly comfortable to argue this way if your opinion is that of
the majority. In the library submissions process [1] it is acknowledged
that a majority vote needs not to be the final criterion. I think it would
be better to work towards a consensus. The consensus here could be: We
acknowledge different styles of programming and therefore different
expectations to the compiler. Some programmers consider it a bug if
'length' is defined on tuples, other ones consider it a useful feature. In
order to serve both sides we add warnings for those who want them. But
these warnings should be bundled together with the instance additions and
not deferred indefinitely.

[1] https://wiki.haskell.org/Library_submissions