Proposal: Add conspicuously missing Functor instances for tuples

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 21:20:05 UTC 2016

The problem, I think, is that

1. Many of us thing the instance for pairs is useful. Some of us think
the instance for triples is occasionally useful. Most of us doubt the
instances for large tuples are often useful (but I'm not quite
convinced).
2. Most of us value consistency very highly. Even if we think the
instance for pairs is great and the instance for septuples is silly,
we want to have the same answer for all tuple sizes.

Thus we have the usual "The axiom of choice is obviously true, the
well-ordering principle is obviously false, and who can say about
Zorn's lemma."

Why I'm not quite convinced about large tuples being entirely silly:
people do weird things with Template Haskell. When they do so, they
want to be able to use functions as uniformly as possible. A function
(fmap) that always hits the last component of a tuple, even if it has
15 components, may be just what they need.