Remove Foldable from Traversable (was Haskell Foldable Wats)

Dmitry Olshansky olshanskydr at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 20:29:07 UTC 2016

I like this argumentation! Consistency is really the most valuable property!

Which contra-arguments is?

> It is unintuitive { maximum (100,4) == 4; length (1,2) == 1 }
>> Intuition could be different. If we understand asymmetry of tuple than
it is completely natural.

> It is hard to explain to students
>> You don't need to explain it. Tuples are one of the first things to
discuss. No classes in scope yet. Later when you go through (Functor,
Applicative) to (Foldable, Traversable) there will be no problem.

> It is useless
>> I suppose that use cases are close to use cases for Functor instances.

> It provoke to use tuples extensively
>> I don't think that exactly these instances provoke this.

> It can produce errors in runtime
>> Yes, and so avoid tuples in most cases. These instances just provoke not
to use tuples!

What else?

I suppose that either tuples are symmetric and have no Functor instances or
they are assymetric with all consequences.

And there is absolutely no reason to change natural class hierarchy due to
imaginary newbie confusion.