Haskell Foldable Wats (Was: Add conspicuously missing Functor instances for tuples)

Bart Massey bart.massey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 17:34:46 UTC 2016

As a less-capable Haskeller, I agree 100%.

The whole point of importing Data.List (either directly or from the
Prelude) is to get functions that work on lists. A crucial feature of this
is that applying these functions to non-lists should generate type errors,
so that I can notice that I passed e.g. a tuple where I meant to pass a
list. I would be fine with adding Foldable versions of list functions to
Data.Foldable: if I want my functions to work on arbitrary Foldables,
that's what I would import.

As someone who spends some time teaching beginners Haskell, this is a
disaster. Trying to explain to a beginner why "Data.List.length ('x', 'y')"
returns a number instead of failing is bad enough: trying to explain why it
returns 1 is hopeless. (I'm better off with Python: at least there it has
the grace to return 2.) And then I have to explain why "length ('x', 'y',
'z')" returns an utterly incomprehensible type error? No thanks.

I'm recommending SML over Haskell to beginners a lot more these days.