Proposal: Add readMaybe (and possibly readEither) to Prelude, make Haddocks for read more cautionary

David Menendez dave at zednenem.com
Fri Dec 30 08:43:04 UTC 2016

On Fri, Dec 30, 2016 at 2:13 AM, Sven Panne <svenpanne at gmail.com> wrote:

>> [...] I don't think making life easy for -Wall clean people should be a
>> goal. The whole point of warnings is that they indicate things that might
>> not be a problem. Otherwise, they’d be errors. This is especially true for
>> warnings that only show up if you use -Wall instead of -W.
>>

> This is largely a matter of personal preference, and this is probably even
> changing over time: 10-20 years ago, I didn't care much about -Wall (in
> various languages/compilers) too much, but this has changed with experience
> in tons of projects: Basically each and every warning turned into a bug
> sooner or later, with very, very few exceptions. So I'm basically a
> hardcore -Wall-clean-fanatic nowaydays. :-) Not using -Wall doesn't make
> the problems go away, you only discover them much, much later, probably
> when your SW is shipped to your client.
>
> So whatever is done, it should be easily be possible to be -Wall-clean,
> which basically means more control over warnings. Especially important are
> one-shot things like the usual C/C++'s NOLINT ("I know what I'm doing here,
> really!") comments, which make it possible to be extremely fine-grained
> about warnings.
>
> Warnings from compilers are just like people crying for help: If you see
> them too often, you get used to them and ignore them, which in the long run
> is bad for all parties involved…

Why -Wall and not -W? If something is almost always an issue, shouldn’t it
be in -W?

The point I was trying to make is that we don’t want to prevent compiler
developers from adding warnings (or library developers from deprecating
things) merely to make life easier for people who want to be -Wall clean.

Having a syntax to disable a warning is not a bad idea, even though it
brings to mind the “please” keyword from Intercal.

--
Dave Menendez <dave at zednenem.com>
<http://www.eyrie.org/~zednenem/>