Discussion: reconsider lens-like exports from containers

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Thu Apr 28 04:48:28 UTC 2016

AHA! I was wrong! There *is* (some) hope! I should've realized this
earlier. The trick is to use Coyoneda instead of Yoneda. Coyoneda is
effectively lazier than Yoneda, so nodes can become available as soon
as they're passed. I suspect it may also be helpful that while
liftYoneda is pricier than lowerYoneda for non-trivial functors, the
opposite holds for Coyoneda. Since adjustA does a lot more lifting
than lowering, Coyoneda seems like a better fit. A thoroughly
straightforward Coyoneda-based implementation offers *decent*
(although not wonderful) viewing performance. But as soon as it's
passed something that reads *and* modifies, it does a little better
than the fake version.