I can no longer maintain containers

Sven Panne svenpanne at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 07:05:10 UTC 2016

Just to add my 2c to the "to split or not to split" topic: Please do not
split such a fundamental package! As already mentioned, it is the 2nd most
used package on Hackage (only slightly behind "bytestring" and ignoring
"base"). Even making tiny incompatible changes will immediately break
hundreds, if not thousands of packages on Hackage. If this is really
planned, there should be an extremely good reason for it, and I can't see
one: The package is very small and there is almost no activity in the
repository (https://github.com/haskell/containers/graphs/commit-activity),
so maintenance burden can't be a valid reason for splitting. And even if it
one wants to split, there are lots of orthogonal aspects of containers:
lazy/strict, order-based/hash-based, set/map/multimap, sorted/unsorted
variants, catenable or not, etc. Which of these should be the splitting
criterion? The extreme of putting each data structure into its own package
seems to be a little bit excessive.

OTOH I'm all for adding missing functionality to "containers", at least if
they don't introduce incompatible changes.

Of course one can add additional packages with subsets of "containers",
keeping the latter untouched. If most Hackage authors switch to the new
packages, "containers" can be phased out. But even if that happens (which I
doubt), this will take quite a few years.

Cheers,
   S.