Can we simplify Dynamic?

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 01:42:10 UTC 2015

I forgot to thank you and the rest for your tremendous work on this! I know
you said the page is a bit out of date, but I had an idea about
fingerprints you may want to consider if you haven't already. In
particular, the wiki page indicates that TTypeRep would have to be abstract
to prevent fingerprint forgeries, but I don't think that's necessarily
correct. I would think you could instead index the Fingerprint# type with
the type it identifies. You'd probably want to add a new magical
Fingerprinted class to produce fingerprints, and a magic function to use
them. The fingerprints could actually be used completely independently to
improve performance in contexts where the full power of TTypeRep isn't
required. Then the TTyperep nodes could hold Fingerprint#s, but themselves
be concrete. Presumably, Fingerprinted => Typeable. Maybe this idea is
crazy, but I figured I'd put it out there.

BTW, I'm a bit astonished that I managed to come up with pretty much
exactly the same function application mechanism that you gave as the most
basic sort of interface.