Proposal: pare down traversable

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 21:48:43 UTC 2015

I don't have benchmarks that support the removal of sequenceA at this time.
I also don't have ones that support its retention, but at this stage
removal has the higher burden of proof.

We should eventually be able to eventually kick sequence and mapM out of
the class and simultaneously weaken their constraints, so assuming that
much happens you'll eventually be able to use sequence as sequenceA. The
question then becomes if we'll be able to eliminate sequenceA as well, or
if it should remain in the class.

None of these migrations paths viably end with sequence being a member of
the class, though, so the best case is that we find `traverse id` is never
appreciably worse and can separately move sequence/sequenceA out of the
class. Otherwise we'd be left with the annoyance of defining sequenceA.

Unfortunately the same issue mentioned above regarding the relationship
between mapM and mapM_ applies mutatis mutandis to sequence and sequence_,
so we can't really weaken the constraint on sequence until the monad of no
return proposal extended with (>>) goes through, putting both potential
simplifications of the Traversable class on the same general clock.

-Edward