Data.OldList

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 06:04:50 UTC 2015

While I can say we don't have any immediate intention of killing it off,
like virtually everything in the GHC namespace we haven't officially
blessed it as anything fully supported and long-term stable.

GHC.OldList was shipped mostly for internal reasons. Since there wasn't a
library discussion about it, it didn't become Data.OldList in the public
export list, that is just the module name it has internally in base.

There are three potential fates I can see. We might keep it where it is,
seek to move more (or all) of it into GHC.List if we can do so while avoid
import cycles, or declare parts of it officially maintained as a part of
the more public-facing Data hierarchy in something like Data.OldList or
Data.List.Old.

I personally have little preference between these three and could likely be
swayed by a strong argument. That third suggestion could be taken up as an
adjunct to a proposal to clean up the generalized combinators in Data.List,
which would be the most likely forcing function on making a decision here.

-Edward