Breaking Changes and Long Term Support Haskell

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Thu Oct 22 18:52:49 UTC 2015

On 10/22/2015 07:37 PM, Gregory Collins wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 11:40 PM, Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> All I'm saying is that if we want to appeal to or cater to working
>>> software engineers, we have to be a lot less cavalier about causing more
>>> work for them, and we need to prize stability of the core infrastructure
>>> more highly. That'd be a broader cultural change, and that goes beyond
>>> process: it's policy.
>>>

>> The way things are shaping up, we've had 17 years of rock solid stability
>>

> I have >95% confidence that all of the C++ programs I wrote 15 years ago
> would build and work if I dusted them off and typed "make" today. I have
> Haskell programs I wrote last year that I probably couldn't say that about.

I wouldn't be so confident, if I were you :). Did you use *any* external
libraries in your project? You'll probably find that no distibution
actually ships the versions you used. Did you have any
implemenetation-defined behavior in your project? That behavior may well
have changed with a more up-to-date compiler -- and good luck getting
that old compiler running on any current platform. (&c.)

It would be interesting as a data point if you could just try a few
projects.

Regards,