Breaking Changes and Long Term Support Haskell

Alois Cochard alois.cochard at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 11:23:33 UTC 2015

That is very interesting, I just want to second Vincent because what I have
read here initially was the exact opposite of the impression I had online.

>From my probably biased point of view, the most visible and vocable persons
who are being upset recently about FRP seems to be teachers and academics!
Which is I must admit was extremely surprising to me.
Most haskellers I know working in the industry, or on open source
libraries, seems to be totally fine with the change (and usually they got
aware of it long time ago... when it was discussed).

Like some others have pointed out, it feel to me that it's much more an
issue about communication than anything else.

Cheers

On 22 October 2015 at 12:57, Vincent Hanquez <tab at snarc.org> wrote:

> On 22/10/2015 01:42, Gregory Collins wrote:
>

>> All I'm saying is that if we want to appeal to or cater to working
>> software engineers, we have to be a lot less cavalier about causing more
>> work for them, and we need to prize stability of the core infrastructure
>> more highly. That'd be a broader cultural change, and that goes beyond
>> process: it's policy.
>>
> Not that I disagree that we need general stability but,
>
> I think it's quite unfair to say that working software engineers are being
> pushed away because of the current "instability", and actually I don't see
> any proof of such a thing.
>
> Working software engineers have developed methods to deal with change (or
> not to deal with it) for decades.
> To name a few with Haskell: private hackage, stackage, cabal pinning.
> It's also commonly available through stack nowadays.
>
> Also, having worked on multiples different Haskell teams doing
> commercial/professional software, compiler/libraries upgrades were never a
> concern of the team.
> It was always something that can be dealt quickly, painlessly and with a
> lot more certitude w.r.t the quality assurance, compared to e.g. dynamic
> languages where you don't have any types safety etc..
>
> I can't help but think that you meant "opensource library maintainers"
> instead of "working software engineers", which is somewhat a very different
> beast.
>
> --
> Vincent

*Λ\ois*