Taking a step back

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Oct 20 18:47:09 UTC 2015

On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 1:35 PM Gregory Collins <greg at gregorycollins.net>
wrote:

> The point Johan is trying to make is this: if I'm thinking of using
> Haskell, then I'm taking on a lot of project risk to get a (hypothetical,
> difficult to quantify) X% productivity benefit. If choosing it actually
> *costs* me a (real, obvious, easy to quantify) Y% tax because I have to
> invest K hours every other quarter fixing all my programs to cope with
> random/spurious changes in the ecosystem and base libraries, then unless we
> can clearly convince people that X >> Y, the rationale for choosing to use
> it is degraded or even nullified altogether.

So I'll rephrase a question I asked earlier that never got an answer: if
I'm developing a commercial project based on ghc and some ecosystem, what
would possibly cause me to change either the ghc version or any part of the
ecosystem every other quarter? Or ever, for that matter? I've never worked
on  a commercial project that changed anything major mid-project, no matter
what language it was using. As far as I'm concerned, one of the major
features of stack is that it handles project-specific ecostystems cleanly
and transparently.