Taking a step back

Jeremy voldermort at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 20 14:45:38 UTC 2015

Sincere thanks for all the work that you've done for the Haskell ecosystem,
it's much appreciated and will be sorely missed.

I'm interested in why you think recent changes are making Haskell a less
viable alternative to mainstream languages. My experience is the opposite -
beginners frequently ask "why is x not a superclass of y?" and "why does
function a seem to be the same as b?", and are horrified to be told that
it's for historical reasons (y existed before x, a existed before the more
general b, etc.). This is a big anti-climax for someone coming from a
"mainstream" language, where type classes are all in the expected logical
hierarchy, and functions/types always have the most general constraints
possible.