[Haskell-cafe] Monad of no `return` Proposal (MRP): Moving `return` out of `Monad`

Phil Ruffwind rf at rufflewind.com
Wed Oct 7 00:21:13 UTC 2015

> By comparison, the C++ language -- significantly more complex and affecting a
> much larger community of users -- has released 4 separate standards in the
> timeframe between Haskell 98 and now, each of them introducing significant
> functionality that created work for compiler and tools vendors, users,
> authors, teachers, and learners. If they can do it, I'm confident we can as
> well.

C++ never makes any breaking changes.* It has only added things (with
the undesirable effect of making the newer and more useful things more
verbose than the legacy cruft).

[*]: … minus a few rare cases where the features had 0% usage, like
'export templates', so their removal wasn't at all controversial.