Monad of no `return` Proposal (MRP): Moving `return` out of `Monad`

Mark Lentczner mark.lentczner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 21:14:31 UTC 2015

On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 2:43 PM, Herbert Valerio Riedel <hvr at gnu.org> wrote:

> TLDR: To complete the AMP, turn `Monad(return)` method into a
>       top-level binding aliasing `Applicative(pure)`.

Sure... if we had a language that no one uses and could keep reforming like
putty until it is perfect. But we don't.

A modest proposal:

We can't keep tinkering with a language and it's libraries like this AND
have a growing ecosystem that serves an ever widening base, including the
range from newcomer to commercial deployment. SO - Why let's do all the
language tinkering in GHC 8 there can be as many prereleases of that as
needed until it is just right. ...and leave GHC 7 (7.10? roll back to
7.8.4?) for all of us doing essential and dependable libraries, commercial
work, projects on Haskell that we don't want to have to go back and #ifdefs
to twice a year just to keep running, educators, people writing books. We
can keep improving GHC 7 as needed, and focus on bugs, security issues,
patches, cross compatibility, etc.

Think of it as Perl 6 or Python 3 for Haskell.

- Mark