maintaining pre-AMP+FTP-Prelude in external package

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed May 13 13:50:45 UTC 2015

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 13.05.2015, 13:50 +0200 schrieb Henning Thielemann:
> What about maintaining the pre-AMP+FTP-Prelude in a package on Hackage?
> Then we could maintain compatibility with a range of GHC versions by
> disabling import of Prelude and importing preamplified (so to speak)
> Prelude. The base-compat package seems to support the other way round,
> that is, providing new 'base' functions to old compilers.

if you make that package reexport all modules from base, you would not
even have to change your old code, but only change the dependency from
"base" to your "base-preAMPlified". With module-rexports¹ this is even
possible by simply listing all modules in the cabal file.

It also seems to be similar to the idea of frozen-base packages, as in
https://mail.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2015-February/118364.html

Greetings,
Joachim

¹ see https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ModuleReexports