mapM /= traverse?

Dan Doel dan.doel at gmail.com
Mon May 11 21:41:01 UTC 2015

The reason I know of why mapM wasn't just made to be an alias for traverse
(assuming that's what you mean) was that it was thought that particular
definitions of mapM could be more efficient than traverse. For instance:

    mapM :: Monad m => (a -> m b) -> [a] -> m [b]
    mapM f = go []
      where
      go ys [] = return (reverse ys)
      go ys (x:xs) = f x >>= \y -> go (y:ys) xs

This doesn't use stack for m = IO, for instance.

However, it has since been pointed out (to me and Ed, at least), that this
matters much less now. Stack overflows are now off by default, and if you
measure the overall time and memory usage, traverse compares favorably to
this custom mapM. So, as long as stack isn't an artificially scarce
resource, there's no reason to keep them distinct. We didn't know this
until after 7.10, though.

If you're just asking why the definition of 'mapM' for lists isn't
'traverse' with a more specific type, I don't know the answer to that.

-- Dan