Proposal: Add "fma" to the RealFloat class

Carter Schonwald carter.schonwald at gmail.com
Tue May 5 11:40:37 UTC 2015

Hey Levent,
I actually looked into how to do rounding mode setting a while ago, and the
conclusion I came to is that those can simply be ffi calls at the top level
that do a sort of with mode bracketing.  Or at least I'm not sure if
setting the mode in an inner loop is a good idea.

That said, you are making a valid point, and I will investigate to what
extent compiler support is useful for the latter. If bracketed mode setting
and unsetting has a small enough performance overhead, adding support in
ghc primops would be worth while.  Note that those primops would have to be
modeled as doing something thats like io or st, so that when mode switches
happen can be predictable.  Otherwise CSE and related optimizations could
result in evaluating the same code in the wrong mode.  I'll think through
how that can be avoided, as I do have some ideas.

I suspect mode switching code will wind up using new type wrapped floats
and doubles that have a phantom index for the mode, and something like
"runWithModeFoo:: Num a => Mode m->(forall s . Moded s a )  -> a"    to
make sure mode choices happen predictably.  That said, there might be a
better approach that we'll come to after some experimenting