Proposal: liftData for Template Haskell

Edward Z. Yang ezyang at mit.edu
Tue May 5 03:36:55 UTC 2015

Hello all,

It looks like people are opposed to doing with the lift type-class.
So here is a counterproposal: mark the Lift type class as overlappable,
and define an instance:

    instance Data a => Lift a where

This is fairly desirable, since GHC will sometimes generate a call to
'lift', in which case liftData can't be manually filled in.  People
can still define efficient versions of lift.

Edward

Excerpts from Edward Z. Yang's message of 2015-04-17 04:21:16 -0700: