Proposal: Make Semigroup as a superclass of Monoid

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Mon May 4 20:17:43 UTC 2015

The issue with a LiquidHaskell solution in this space, aside from the fact
that it is an experiment that isn't part of the compiler or the language
that we have, and uses assumptions about the way numbers work that don't
hold for the ones we have, is that it is terribly invasive.

In order to use it everything that ever wants to work with your shiny new
non-empty list type needs to be written in LiquidHaskell to prove the
non-empty invariant still holds. Refinement types are notoriously hard to
use. On the other-hand a type like NonEmpty satisfies that invariant
trivially: There is no empty constructor.

The price of this is that it is a different data type, with different
operations.

I love LiquidHaskell, but I'd be very hesitant to do anything or rather to
not do anything predicated on its existence.

-Edward