Proposal: Add "fma" to the RealFloat class

Takenobu Tani takenobu.hs at gmail.com
Sun May 3 07:42:12 UTC 2015

Hi,

little information.

General CPUs use term of "FMA" for "Mul + Add" operation
and implement special instructions.

x86(AMD64, Intel64) has FMA instructions:
  FMADD132PD, ...

ARM has FMA instructions:
  VMLA, ...

In DSP culture, it's called "MAC(Multiply and Accumulator)".
Traditional DSPs have MAC(Multiply and Accumulator) instructions:

TI's C67 has MAC instructions:
  MAC, ...

If you map "fma" function to cpu's raw instruction,
be careful for rounding and saturation mode.

BTW, "FMA" operation is defined in IEEE754-2008 standard.

Regards,
Takenobu