Proposal: Add "fma" to the RealFloat class

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri May 1 18:11:52 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 1, 2015 at 5:52 PM, David Feuer <david.feuer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm somewhat opposed to the Num class in general, and very much opposed to
> calling floating point representations "numbers" in particular. How are
> they numbers when they don't obey associative or distributive laws, let
> alone cancellation, commutativity, ....? I know Carter

TBH I think Num is a lost cause. If you want mathematical numbers, set up a
parallel class instead of trying to force a class designed for numbers "in
the wild" to be a pure theory class.

This operation in particular is *all about* numbers in the wild --- it has
no place in theory, it's an optimization for hardware implementations.