Proposal: Add "fma" to the RealFloat class

Twan van Laarhoven twanvl at gmail.com
Fri May 1 16:44:20 UTC 2015

I agree that Num is the place to put this function, with a default
implementation. In my mind it is a special combination of (+) and (*), which
both live in Num as well.

I dislike the name fma, as that is a three letter acronym with no meaning to
people who don't do numeric programming. And by putting the function in Num the
name would end up in the Prelude.

For further bikeshedding: my proposal for a name would mulAdd. But fusedMulAdd
or fusedMultiplyAdd would also be fine.

Twan