Proposal: Make Semigroup as a superclass of Monoid

Greg Weber greg at gregweber.info
Mon Mar 30 00:33:49 UTC 2015

> 1. GHC 7.12 will include Semigroup and NonEmpty in base. All Monoid
instances, and anything else which forms a Semigroup, will have a Semigroup
instance. GHC will issue a warning when it encounters an instance of Monoid
which is not an instance of Semigroup.

There is going to be some push-back on this proposal from those that point
out the lack of mempty makes Semigroup less rigorous that a Monoid. That
concept can create a debate around what is "anything else which forms a
semigroup".
I would try to amend the proposal to something much more specific.
Here is how I have used Semigroup

1) a structure that is already a Monoid
2) a structure that is a non-empty form of a Monoid
3) a structure where mempty is not constant but a function of the element
you would concatenate it to

An example of 3) is concatenating bounding boxes. A zeroed box is certainly
an empty box, but it will create a larger box when concatenated with an
existing box.The identity concatenation of the current bounding box is
always the current bounding box.

What other structures do you use Semigroup for?
Are there structures in base where there would be a debate about adding an
instance?
Can we come up with rules for when a Semigroup instance should be added to
base?