Proposal: Make Semigroup as a superclass of Monoid

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 18:44:52 UTC 2015

While I like the idea, there are some differences from the
Applicative/Monad situation. Most Monads already had an Applicative
instance. Monoids, on the other hand, often don't have a Semigroup
instance, if only because it lives in a different package. In most
cases where I depended on this package, it was because my Semigroup
*wasn't* a Monoid. So if I had to guess, this might cause more work
for people than the AMP.

There are also some details to figure out. There are a couple of name
clashes between the semigroups package and Monoid: (<>), as mentioned,
but also the newtypes First and Last (with different definitions). How
will this all end up, and what is the migration path?

I think ideally we'd want (<>) in Semigroup. As for First and Last, as
the semigroups docs say, you can get the Monoid versions with Option
(First a), but deprecating and removing the Monoid versions will
probably cause a lot of breakage. Alternatively, we could have two
types with the same name in different modules, but that also doesn't
sound ideal, or we could rename the semigroups ones, but that also
seems like it would cause a difficult migration. Does anyone have good
ideas about this?

Regards,

Erik