wither the Platform

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Fri Mar 27 12:24:37 UTC 2015

On 2015-03-25 at 15:24:30 +0100, Mark Lentczner wrote:

[...]

> Concrete proposal based on that and the other fine input in the responses:
>
> *Simultaneous Release:* Since it is organizationally impractical to have
> one release, let's have GHC and Platform release at the same moment. That
> is, GHC HQ would keep a release in "RC" until HP was ready. By the same
> token, HP team commits to tracking GHC from RC1, and aiming to hit ready
> for release within a week of GHC being ready. Both go "release" in the same
> announcement. *In fact, let's version HP with the same number as GHC!*

[...]

I'm a bit worried about the aspect of delaying the GHC release schedule
for the sole purpose to provide the HP with more visibility, while
penalising those users that have no interest to use the HP anyway. Otoh,
there's usually enough time between the last RC and the actual final
release, which should give the HP at least one week of time anyway w/o
any active delay on GHC's end.

Otoh, as soon as the new HP is released, it provides users with the
perception of a new stable HP release to jump on right-away. That,
however, may lead to a poor experience if the it's the first HP release
for a given major GHC version as Hackage usually hasn't fully caught up
by the time a GHC x.y.1 is unleashed. So if we had co-released a HP
featuring GHC 7.10.1 today, there would still be enough Hackage packages
not yet compatible with GHC 7.10.1 to recommend users *not* to install
the release right-away.

So I'm actually not sure if a simultaneous release of GHC x.y.1 w/ HP
would be in the HP's best interest in terms of providing a reliable and
complete development environment (which IMO requires access to Hackage,
even more so if the HP is to be reduced to contain less packages)

-- hvr