wither the Platform

Jeremy voldermort at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 25 10:23:56 UTC 2015

Simon Peyton Jones wrote
> My question was: can they be fixed so that HP does not get in the way?
> E.g. if we solve the multiple-versions-of-packages problem with Cabal
> (which Duncan in a separate thread says we can), then that would solve the
> first two; and for the third, I guess the solution is to release a new
> version of HP.

Or we could follow what Microsoft have done to solve this problem with .NET,
and move non-GHC packages out of the platform into a separate delivery
vehicle - which could be bundled with the platform if desired.

As it stands, the platform cannot simply update packages without a full
install. This is the essence of our problem - update the platform libraries
independently of a GHC/platform release. (In the same way that you can
upgrade the packages which were installed with a specific version of a Linux
distro, or use NuGet to upgrade packages that were released with a .NET
platform.)