Fixing Fix

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 18:25:21 UTC 2015

History of indexed:

The version of indexed on hackage was split out of my old category-extras
package by Reiner Pope. I asked a couple of years back if I could replace
it with a new version, and he said yes.

The version on my github is my exploration of that design space. It was
stalled because of issues with GHC circa 7.6. Notably: Any inhabiting every
kind meant that it wasn't sound to assume that the only inhabitants of the
product kind (i,j) are of the form '(a, b) for a :: i, and b :: j. We've
fixed most of those issues in GHC 7.10, so in theory i could pick up my
indexed package and finish it. There are other issues still outstanding,
but that was the big one.

I think there are enough points in this design space that I'm much much
happier to have this sort of thing in libraries that are removed from base
than having it in base itself. As an example: Making useful instances for
it requires either UndecidableInstances or switching to something like
Data.Functor.Classes or the machinery prelude-extras. I'm not terribly
comfortable with base making a bet on one such horse at the expense of the
others, and I'm even less comfortable moving the data type up where any
such instances would perforce be orphans if we didn't supply them.

*tl;dr* -1

-Edward