Type roles for UArray?

Richard Eisenberg eir at cis.upenn.edu
Tue Mar 24 14:59:56 UTC 2015

I wasn't thinking of a global pragma -- something much closer to what you propose.

I actually think we should go further and come up with a unified story around different "deriving" mechanisms. GHC currently has 3:

1) Haskell98-style, including extensions like DeriveFunctor. These "derivings" are baked in.
2) GND
3) DeriveAnyClass, a new extension, intended to be used with generics, that produces an empty instance declaration. The methods are intended to be filled in by (perhaps generic) default implementations.

This thread proposes a new mechanism: unsafeGND. And perhaps more are waiting in the wings. Users should be able to specify the mechanism, and if that mechanism is unavailable, GHC should error. When more than one mechanism is non-trivially applicable, GHC should error. (The "non-trivial" is there to rule out errors for, say, deriving Eq via Haskell98 or via GND: both result in the same behavior.)

I leave it to others to bikeshed about syntax. :)

Richard