Generalizing map?

Nathan Bouscal nbouscal at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 18:25:13 UTC 2015

I strongly agree with Andrew's suggestion of figuring out exactly what we
want the Prelude to be and then moving toward that goal. A principled,
intentional approach to this would be really wonderful.

That said, I don't agree with holding off on concrete small changes in the
meantime, because my pessimistic side doesn't actually expect that
principled approach to ever come to fruition. Rejecting a proposal like
this current one in favor of a more thorough, principled approach seems to
me like allowing the perfect to be the enemy of the good. I would rather
have a team working on the better solution, but allow the merely good
solutions to continue happening in parallel.

I'm skeptical about code breakage, and think we should simply test it and
find out.

>From my (very limited) experience teaching beginners, I expect this change
to improve things, not make them worse. I'm glad to see that Chris's much
greater experience in this area seems to corroborate this.

That leaves me at +1 on this for now, conditional on testing to be sure
that it wouldn't cause significant code breakage or problems with fusion.

(I'm also a quixotic +1 on going all the way and renaming fmap to map, but
can't imagine that actually happening any time soon.)