Abstract FilePath Proposal

Boespflug, Mathieu m at tweag.io
Mon Jun 29 07:47:38 UTC 2015

Right - given that filepath is a path manipulation library, not tied
to any particular filesystem, and indeed one in which arbitrary
imaginary paths can be manipulated, any normalization under
consideration can only be that which is independent of global system
state. What does happen in practice is that people compare paths
without taking into account that a user might have written "a//b"
where you have an entry for say "a/b" in your database. Normalization
avoids these errors, but I can see the appeal of not interpreting the
byte sequences at all, and the kind of normalization that can be done
without appeal to global system state ends up being smaller than
expected anyways.

So +1 for the proposal as-is.