cabal-install: bug and quest for a workaround

Wolfgang Jeltsch g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org
Mon Jun 1 15:58:50 UTC 2015

Hi,

I have just installed GHC 7.10.1 and cabal-install 1.22.4.0. The problem
is that cabal-install often hangs when trying to download a package.
With --verbose=3, I see that it gets a “301 Moved Permanently” from the
server, tries to redirect, shows “Recovering connection to
hackage.haskell.org”, and then hangs.

Is there anything I can do to work around this issue? At the moment, I
cannot work with my new GHC installation, since it is virtually
impossible to install packages with cabal-install.

All the best,
Wolfgang