RFC for a change in EmptyDataDecls instance deriving

Erik Hesselink hesselink at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 18:53:48 UTC 2015

Well, things made *im*possible: you can't do silly things like use
Voids as keys in a map, or look for Voids in a list, as that will
expose the Voids for the lies that they are. But you're right, I doubt
this is a very common use case. I guess it just feels wrong to me to
consider 'let x = x in x' be equal to 'error "boo"'. It also fits with
all other functions on Void, which, when receiving an argument, use
something like 'absurd' on it to produce their answer. Which leads to
another oddity: given 'v :: Void', if 'v == v = True', what about
something like 'absurd v :: Int == absurd v'? That would be bottom,
which again, seems weird to me.

Note that I have no great arguments and no intention of breaking
anyone's code, quite the opposite. So I'd be very interested to see
if/how defining the Void Eq instance to return True can be benificial.

Erik