RFC for a change in EmptyDataDecls instance deriving

David Feuer david.feuer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 13:10:04 UTC 2015

I still don't understand why these instances exist, except maybe to write
(Proxy :: Proxy p)==(Proxy :: Proxy q) instead of the more usual [Proxy ::
Proxy p, Proxy :: Proxy q] to force p~q. I'll admit it looks pretty, but it
seems a bit silly. The Void instance doesn't even have this dubious benefit.

Why would one ever want to tie a knot in Void? That violates the entire
purpose of the type--communicating the idea that it's not supposed to be
inhabited (btw, I think there is a sensible argument for making Await in
machines strict in its request argument so that a SourceT is truly
incapable of awaiting; I don't know how that would affect efficiency
though).

The efficiency argument only makes sense if one accepts that the code in
question is sane to begin with. If someone writes disgusting code, I don't
care if it's compiled well.