Drastic Prelude changes imminent

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Wed Jan 28 22:22:42 UTC 2015

On 2015-01-28 at 21:45:40 +0100, Edward Kmett wrote:
> We started work on the Foldable/Traversable issue during 7.8, right after
> the BBP process burned down and it was clear there was a strong desire to
> see motion on that topic, and the core libraries committee was formed, but
> decided not to act on anything during 7.8, as 7.8's release seemed immanent
> at the time. Little did we know it'd drag on for another 7 months. Overall,
> that proved to be a good thing, as we spent much of that time trying to
> understand how to retie the Gordian knot that is the set of hs boot files
> that makes up base.

[...]

On a technical note, there was also an inter-dependency with the AMP
implementation, as both needed many modifications in the same places. So
Austin went first with the AMP, and as soon as that was done (which
turned out to be quite more tricky and took much longer than
anticipated), I started addressing the BBP implementation based on the
post-AMP state (while trying to get this done quickly enough not cause
too many merge-conflicts with other commits that were being pushed to
HEAD as well as `base`-patches being submitted to Phabricator...)

Cheers,
  hvr