Upcoming GHC version (was: Re: Drastic Prelude changes imminent)

Edward Kmett ekmett at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 21:18:00 UTC 2015

If we can eventually make some headway on the split base proposal, then
eventually we might be able to let parts of base split off into separate
packages that can update at different rates.

With that a change to the behavior of, say, something in STM, doesn't need
to affect code that is written to a much smaller subset of the library, and
so that people who are building Haskell compilers for non-posix-like
backends can perhaps have a smaller set of things they'd have to implement
out of the gate.

Alas, as you noted, that isn't the world we have to day.

-Edward