Drastic Prelude changes imminent

Bardur Arantsson spam at scientician.net
Wed Jan 28 18:48:37 UTC 2015

On 01/28/15 18:35, Edward Kmett wrote:

> So as a concrete alternative proposal, I'd like to suggest that we consider:
>
> Shipping the BBP as planned.
>
> Adding to GHC the ability to complain if a given re-export is the only way
> a symbol finds its way into scope that you use, and apply those flags to
> Control.Monad.mapM and a bunch of combinators in Data.List.*.

+1, for all reasons mentioned.

It would be a slap in the face to all the hard work of the people who've
adapted their packages to force *another* breaking change this late in
the game.

Regrettable as the situation is, it's just too late to change this so
late in a release cycle, IMO. Having better mechanisms in place for
future evolutions of "base" would obviously be very desirable.

Regards,