Drastic Prelude changes imminent

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Jan 28 12:19:20 UTC 2015

Hi,

Simon PJ mentions the Core Library committee in this context, but –
being a member of that – I must admit that even I were not aware of the
changes until they were underway.

After I saw the commits coming in I searched for information on the
proposal, but only found the ticket #9586 titled “Implement
Traversable/Foldable-Burning-Bridges Proposal”, which made me expect
some actual proposal somewhere usually in the wiki, but it seems there
was none. There is a thread on libraries on Burning Bridges from May
2013, but it was not clear to me that that turned into something
concrete.

I concluded that I simply missed some discussion somewhere but
everything went it’s orderly way. I was uneasy about these changes, but
if in doubt I trust those who invest their time.

Somewhere in the current thread it was mentioned that it was at the
Haskell Implementors Workshop 2013 where this plan was created. I was
not there, so that’d explain why I wasn’t aware of the changes at that
time.

What lessens can we learn from the BBP process?

 * Personal meetings are great, but please remember to actively
   communicate results.

 * Proposal wiki pages, with motivation, examples, alternatives,
   have served us well. I’m not sure why that was skipped here.
   We should have them in the future.

Greetings,
Joachim

--