Drastic Prelude changes imminent

Herbert Valerio Riedel hvr at gnu.org
Tue Jan 27 22:17:23 UTC 2015

Hello Gabriel,

On 2015-01-27 at 22:53:35 +0100, Gabriel Gonzalez wrote:
> Whether or not we use Github, you have to admit that the development
> process for core libraries is not very transparent in its current
> form.  We have evidence for this right now: lots of people have been
> complaining that they never realized that this change got into
> GHC-7.10.

Fwiw, this is what I commented already a couple of months ago addressing
a complaint that the changes were hidden from the public (although the
complaint was then revised to refer to the decisions being
non-transparent):

http://www.reddit.com/r/haskell/comments/2if0fu/on_concerns_about_haskells_prelude_favoring/cl2o86z

> You don't have to adopt my specific suggestion, but you can't just
> keep doing business as usual either and pretend that there isn't a
> problem.  If you reject my Github suggestion then propose a better
> solution for increasing the transparency and visibility of the
> process.

Just a thought (I heard elsewhere): We already have "GHC Weekly News",
what about "Haskell Libraries Weekly News" to cover the highlights
(especially library proposal) of this mailing list (if we can find a
volunteer to do the weekly write-up)?

> On 1/27/15, 1:40 PM, David Feuer wrote:

[...]