Drastic Prelude changes imminent

Gershom B gershomb at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 17:25:21 UTC 2015

I think that _if_ there had been a better organized, more clarifying discussion on the scope of BBP earlier (one was promised after Neil raised concerns, but I think it fell by the wayside), then we might not be in this boat.

Now, whatever the “right” thing is eventually, it does feel like we need to apply brakes until people can settle in further. I know people will be disappointed no matter what happens, and they will feel this stuff has moved slowly enough for long enough.

However, without having had that discussion, I don’t see how we can move forward.

The proposal Lennart and Simon have therefore seems good and necessary, save for the issue of how BBP infects Data.List in particular as well.

I think we should go with it, and _also_ just have Data.List always export the monomorphic functions for now. I recognize that this means even with AlternativePrelude on, people will not get the full niceness of the “BBP experience”. However, it seems as close as we can get, to my mind, without creating greater headaches and issues all around.

We could perhaps also insert a warning encouraging people to import Data.List qualified, either in this GHC of the next release. This would allow BBP to proceed in a relatively breakage-free way in the future without needing to generalize the Data.List module.

Cheers,
Gershom