Hackage is flooded with old package versions reuploads

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Tue Jan 20 21:37:48 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 06:22:47PM +0100, Herbert Valerio Riedel wrote:
> On 2015-01-20 at 17:43:24 +0100, Duncan Coutts wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > This can be achieved by editing the .cabal file, and Herbert has done so
> > in at least one case. It's just a matter of making the constraints
> > impossible, e.g. base > 1 && < 1. It could possibly be done more
> > obviously or directly, e.g. adding a dep on something impossible (though
> > note that we don't currently allow adding deps).
>
> Fwiw, I've converged to using the following construct to blacklist a
> package version:
>
>   library
>     -- [reason why this package version had to be blacklisted]
>     build-depends: base<0
>
>     [...rest of content...]
>

> IMHO this is somewhat obvious than any other unsatisfiable constructs

Indeed, that is a much better way to signal
blacklisting/deprecation/etc.  I first found the
unsatisfiable-dependencies solution in the random package.  It was
only due to being able to find a bug mentioning that the version in
question should be deprecated that I realised it was done on purpose.

/M

email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org

Code as if whoever maintains your program is a violent psychopath who knows
where you live.
     -- Anonymous