Hackage is flooded with old package versions reuploads

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 22:34:04 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 5:07 PM, Edward Kmett <ekmett at gmail.com> wrote:

> We have a deprecation flag on hackage now, it just doesn't do anything at
> last check.

Which is exactly why I specified that it needs to be something that cabal
honors by default.

As a sysadmin, I'd actually prefer the flag to overwriting packages --- but
I find the Haskell community usually goes in other directions than what
makes sense to me from the standpoint of stability vs. usability vs.
flexibility. And given that the deprecation flag was added as more or less
documentation, I don't really expect that a proper disable option will be
added....