Hackage is flooded with old package versions reuploads

Vincent Hanquez tab at snarc.org
Sun Jan 18 23:05:31 UTC 2015

On 18/01/2015 09:56, kyra wrote:
> Hi, guys,
>
> It looks old (and even ancient) versions of many packages gets
> uploaded to hackage over and over again in ever increasing amounts.
> The username of uploader for vast majority of these uploads is
> HerbertValerioRiedel.
>
> While this is harmless I wonder what idea stands behind this?
This is not harmless. This is a security issue by itself, as now
packages get changes transparently given a url, you might have a
different package one day, which trigger hash check failure. or signed
tag verification failure.

This has also the effect of not changing the bounds in the repository,
so for example, next time you upload a tweak'ed packages, you
effectively revert the change done on hackage only.

This is also done without the consent of the maintainer of a given
package, nor that the maintainer is actually notified when that happens,
or allow to prevent it happening. This is pretty big start from the
other similar policy for taking over packages, that insist on a very
long period of repeated communication with the author and then the
community.

The whole thing is at best ill advised,
--
Vincent