Proposal: removeDirectoryRecursive should not follow symlinks

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Jan 6 15:43:14 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Bardur Arantsson <spam at scientician.net>
wrote:

> Because *nobody* wants to follow symlinks when doing "rm -rf". Even if
> they think they do, they *really* don't. Any design which relies on it
> is probably fundamentally broken. (If they're *really really* sure, they
> can write their own.)

Don't need to reread the arguments - I've been aware of them since CSRG
introduced symlinks in 4BSD, and the utilities didn't know about them in
the beta releases.

You pretty much never want to call it on a file tree you didn't build.  But
if I built the file tree, then I know what's going on. Making me write my
own is probably going to result in less robust code, or copying the code
out of the library and tweaking it, neither of which is desirable.