Proposal: removeDirectoryRecursive should not follow symlinks

Mike Meyer mwm at mired.org
Tue Jan 6 13:57:28 UTC 2015

On Tue, Jan 6, 2015 at 7:48 AM, Johan Tibell <johan.tibell at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is not a bugfix. A bug is failing to follow the functions
> specification, which *does* include following symlinks.

It's a bug in the design, not the code. The API it provides is useful, but
dangerous and less useful than the safe version.

Breaking the API has been proposed. If we're going to do that, why not add
a followSymlinks ::Bool argument as well, and document why the API was
broken in this way. Going forward, at least. Not sure about backwards.